Laura Gunn Studio

lauragunnstudio@gmail.com

Monday, August 07, 2006

Watercolors in Bed




I think the greatest advantage of watercolors over acrylics is that you can do them in bed. I discovered this during my 3 days bed rest . I'm up'n at'm now, but wouldn't mind doing some more watercolors. I love how gradually you can change the colors. That's especially great with flowers. The colors just bleed into each other. My mom taught me a few tips before I got started.

1. Mix the colors on the lid of the water colors.

2. A little goes a long way. You don't want it to be too thick. If you apply it to the page and it's too dense, simply spread it out with a wet brush. You can fill in a lot of area that way.

3. If your brush is too wet squeeze it out between your fingers.

4. If your not happy with an area you may be able to erase some of it with a wet brush. (I discovered I could also get the paper wet and dab it with a dry paper towel.) It won't erase it completely but enough to paint over it.

Does anyone else have watercolorin' tips?

Dave was so fascinated he wanted to join me. So last night we lay in bed painting away. He did a lemon, a Kermit, and lady with glasses like that blind guy on Star Trek. He said her eyes were too tricky. That was a fun date!

8 Comments:

Blogger sue b said...

I don't have any tips but I did want to say these are terrific!

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Heather Bailey said...

Sounds like a memorable date. And, your watercolors are beautiful! As far as tips go, I've toyed with a few watercolor products before that you might want to check out:

• Masking Fluid, which allows you to block off parts of your painting temporarily (you can roll it off the paper with your fingers later, like rubber cement on plastic)

• Lifting Preparation, which makes your watercolors sink into the paper less, so you can erase-with-water more easily

• Irridescent Medium (a mix-in), which adds a pearly luster to your paint

• Granulation Medium (a mix-in), which makes your washes all spotted and funny (on purpose) -- I've heard a sprinkle of salt on the painted, but still-wet surface can do this too.

• Gum Arabic (a mix-in), which is supposed to increase the brilliance and gloss of your watercolors

I'm not a big watercolorist or anything, but I sure love tools (yes, paints are tools) and these are some fun ones that I've played with. Hey, and I'm glad to hear you're up and about. Stick with the watercolor thing -- they're fantastic!

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Aunt Cherry said...

You obviously see things that I don't see when looking at flowers. When I try to paint/draw flowers they always look like something your kid makes you hang on the fridge. ;) At least with watercolors it seems you can draw the beauty out of the flower instead of drawing upon its surroundings as well. Where do you think you'll display them? Keep us all updated!

12:18 PM  
Blogger weimaraner said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Mandi Crockett said...

Hey Laura! Definitely don't have any tips for you but wanted to let you know that I think your stuff is amazing! I am so impressed with all that you do!

5:04 AM  
Anonymous Kaye said...

WOW I am inpressed!
Those are sooooo beautiful. I can't paint or draw at all so I have no tips.
I love your blog and your art!
It makes me want to try watercolors.

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the flowers...the speek of fairy hideaways and as a sewer would translate to patchwork. Thank you for shairing your artwork. Enjoyed the intense color!

9:33 PM  
Blogger zees5 said...

PS Those roses are amazing. Now I want to learn to paint. I have tons of brushes and paints, but have no idea how to paint a flower.

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home