Laura Gunn Studio

lauragunnstudio@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

After: Lets Warm Things Up







When Dave left to drive Carrie back home I wanted to surprise him with a complete basement makeover. I had 5 days and around $150. Until now, we've really avoided hanging out in the basement. It has just felt dirty, old, and cold (see the before pics below). So I went to battle. Here's some of the stuff I did:

  • Painted the room a nice warm yellow. (This also cleaned things up a lot)
  • Bought this Salmon throw at Walmart ($25)
  • Covered 2 large throw pillows with gold and salmon fabric I already had
  • Slip covered some storage stuff. (see below)
  • Got a nice shaggy gold rug at Walmart ($69) . The indoor/outdoor carpet really needed this.
  • Replaced the ugly ivy curtains with plain sheer white. (I wanted a lot of light to come through.)
  • Covered the opened doorways with canvas. (bye bye ugly storage.)
  • Spray painted an ugly brass floor lamp with silver and got a new lamp shade.
  • Painted out all the ugly red. (see below)
  • Hung a few paintings. Notice Lily's painting above the red stool. A side note: Lily worked on that for months. Every time I would paint she added to her canvas.
  • rearranged the furniture to open the room up more.

Well, that's most of what I did. I got a lot of help from friends, Collette, Michelle, and Shannon. (THANK YOU!!) Not bad for 4 days of work. Was Dave surprised? Shocked! I got him at the airport at 2AM. Gag! When we got home I casually said, "Will you lock up in the basement. I forgot to." This was a totally natural thing to say as I am completely paranoid about doors being unlocked at night. He went down stairs. "WHAT THE HECK! What have you been up too?" He was thrilled. It just makes our home feel so much more homey.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Heather said...

Wow, Laura, what a change! I'm so glad you itemized your work for us, so I could follow along. Love the yellow walls, though I do think I'll miss those red shelves. And those ivy curtains should have disappeared the day you moved in. Good work - now go get some rest, you still have weeks of nesting to go.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Funky Finds said...

it looks terrific. it's like an episode of while you were out!!!

5:56 AM  
Blogger becki said...

What a wonderful transformation!! You made it look so cozy and comfy!!

9:44 AM  
Blogger sunshine said...

congratulations. But don't forget to rest some. Nestling is fun but sleep disappears after a baby is born. Get sleep when ever you can.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just love it all! Especially Lily's painting!

4:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy Ultram Online

http://www1.fccj.edu/wlara/jaxsearch/_kbas/000001eb.htm

Buy Ultram Online

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home