Laura Gunn Studio

lauragunnstudio@gmail.com

Friday, January 26, 2007

Friday Frenzy

Have I told you all about my Friday project group. Every Friday we get together and do a project at someone's house. There are 4 of us. (That's Shannon, Michelle, and Colette above.) We take turns doing something we can't face alone, can't get our husbands to do, or just sounds like fun. Let's see, we've cleaned out Michelle's basement, and mine. We've painted Shannon's cabinets, Colette's nursery, and my hallway. We've scrapbooked and cleaned and today we sewed. Probably the funnest Friday yet.

Colette is getting ready for Baby #5! That's right. She is such a super-mom, she'll do great. But baby needs a nest so we got to work. I think each of us learned something. I learned how to make a fitted crib sheet and border a quilt with a "lip." I'll try to give more details on that later. I know Michelle learned the magic of ripping fabric along the grain. (ahhh, is there a lovelier sound?) We slip covered a pillow with an old dish towel that Collete's grandma-in-law had embroidered (see above). We made a crib skirt, Curtains, and almost finished the quilt top. What a day!





















Colette wanted a "crazy quilt" so we used a simple technique my sister showed me. I'll give you the process and measurements we used and maybe you'll be inspired.
  • cut 12 ten inch squares using at least 6 different fabrics
  • put squares in 2 stacks of 6, with no 2 fabrics the same in each stack
  • cut a random diagonal slice across each stack (I like each stack to be a bit different)
  • now that the stack is sliced in half, take the top fabric on one half and put it on the bottom of each stack, as shown in the top right photo.
  • sew the halves together (fabrics not matched).
  • press each newly sewn square (warning: your pieces won't match up exactly and your square will start to look unsquare. That's fine)
  • restack into the 2 stacks and slice across the other direction, as shown in the bottom right photo. (Ignore the extra piecing on those squares. My girls got a bit crazy.)
  • again, take the top fabric on one half and place it at the bottom of the stack. Sew halves together and press.
  • cut an 8 X 8 inch square out of paper. Use this as a pattern to resquare each square, as shown in the top left photo.
  • now sew'em together (3 squares by 4 squares)

9 Comments:

Blogger June said...

I love the idea of a group of friends joining together to accomplish projects--whether pleasant or dreaded tasks. Reminds me of the quilting groups my grandmother belonged to--so much more gets done when tackled with laughter and comraderie.

6:08 AM  
Anonymous ginny said...

good job girls! doesnt it feel great to get so much done???? anyone want to come to my house and paint my basement?? :)

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noelle said:

Laura - this is such a great quilt. how much fun to have great friends. i need to stop moving so i can find some. what an idea. :) congratulations on the upcoming baby boy! michelle told me to come on here to check out the quilt. it is all beautiful. i'm figuring collette is having a girl with all of the pink. good guess,huh?

2:47 PM  
Anonymous jona said...

It sounds like such a fun (and productive!) day! I love making fitted crib sheets. They are so easy to do and so much nicer than store-bought ones (especially when you use flannel-yum!).
I'm going to suggest a fun work day with my friends, I think they'll love the idea. Thanks!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Jenmomof4 said...

What a great idea. I wish I had crafty friends in the area. I left them all behind in Alabama when I moved to Missouri 1 1/2 years ago. I just went through your blog and I love all your paintings and your decorating. I will come back to read more when you post!! Thanks-Jen

12:54 PM  
Blogger amandajean said...

sounds like such a good time with a group of friends! what do you do with the kids??? I may have to start a group of this type in my circle of friends!

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Charyce McGregor said...

What a trip! I randomly came across your blog and wouldn't you know, there is my friend Michelle R. staring at me in your picture of Friday Frenzy!
She is a talent! I miss that girl. You will have to give her the love for me. What a great idea to have a group get together every week! Wish I lived there!

Charyce

6:02 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

OMG! Project Friday - pure genius!

9:46 AM  
Blogger jen said...

had to come back to comment ... about oh ... 3 years ago ... i made my daughter's crib bumper using this crazy quilt idea and LOVED it.
now that we're expecting #3 ... a boy! ... i'm using it again ... so glad i found it. because ... i'm so not organized enough to find the papers that i had printed out 3 years ago!

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home