Laura Gunn Studio

lauragunnstudio@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Puppies and Flowers



In case I haven't told you, I am putting Gunn Junior in with Lily. Lily has a super girly flower theme and baby will have a puppy theme. The trick is tying it all together. There's a little nook to put the crib in. The common theme is orange and brown.

Yesterday I did these flower appliques out of the same fabric I covered my chair in. I thought I'd share my favorite technique for appliqueing simple shapes. Old news to some I'm sure.

  • While cutting out each shape (example: petal) cut it's mirror image by cutting 2 on folded fabric.
  • Sew front side of shape to front side of mirror image.
  • Sew all the way around, leaving no opening. How the heck will I turn it, you ask:
  • Cut a slit in the back. (see photo above) This won't show when you applique it on.

Ahh no folding under raw edges as I stitch it on. And look at my monster stitches. Fast and fun.

I decorated the middle with yo yos. Of course the best place to find instructions for that is Heather's yo yo tutorial.

So I've been getting some comments from spammers. Yuck! I changed my settings so comments come to my email first and then I can catch the nasty pests before they reach my blog. Does anyone know how I can erase the ones already there with blogger. I just can't figure it out.

P.S. Becki is such a good sport. She did her 6 weird things and commented on my blog without ever pointing out that I spelled her name wrong. Typical me.

I need to run. We're doing a little quilt making at the church. The quilts will be donated to hospitals, etc. And I'm supposedly in charge. Ha. Pics to come.

7 Comments:

Anonymous ginny said...

i love those pillows! i do my aplique the same way except i use iron on interfacing (the light kind) instead of another layer of fabric. after sewing, sliting and flipping you can iron it in place before you stitch and it is not quite as thick. i like the idea of using the fabric though, i was concerned about my method when it comes to lighter fabrics....
as far as the spam comments go, i think that if you go to the blogger home page and sign in and then view your blog, that when you click on the coments link under the post when the comments pop up, there will be this tiny little trash can icon thingy that you can click and it will delete that particularcomment. wow hows that for a run-on sentence

7:22 AM  
Blogger Laura Gunn Studio said...

Thanks Ginny!
And yes, you all may have noticed that I spelled Ginny's name wrong too. I gave becki the "y" and Ginny the "i." I am such a goof.

Ginny, I like your applique method with iron on interfacing. Then you can iron it in place. I imagine it's a bit let bulky too.

And I never even noticed the little trash can icon before. If it were a snake.....

10:35 AM  
Blogger becki said...

Why thank you!! I don't get to fussy over my mispelled name, I myself was always a science and math geek, so I have my fair share of mispelled words!!

I love your pillows! They are so bright and cheery! I also love yo-yo's, you can never go wrong with those! I bet your house is just as fun as all the stuff you have been blogging about!

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Heather Bailey said...

Watch you go! Love the flower pillows :)

11:01 PM  
Anonymous jona said...

I LOVE that applique hint! And that flower design would look great on a purse!!

3:05 PM  
Blogger The Blue Barn said...

Is there anything you can't do? The chair is absolutely beautiful and those pillows you just "threw" together...you really need to stop, I'm beginning to covet your talents!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Laura Gunn Studio said...

Ah blue barn, I am currently blessed with super human pregnant powers. I have to make up for 6 months of barfy blues and quickly before the 2 months of achey inertia kick in. that doesn't leave much time!

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home