Laura Gunn Studio

lauragunnstudio@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Welcome Guests



I can't believe I have a guest room. That'll last as long as we can handle having Lily and the baby together. She's thrilled about it now, but I suspect that won't last forever.

When Carrie was staying with us we painted the room her favorite color, lavender. I was planning on changing it when she left, because I wanted to put some funky bright colors in there. Then I threw this vintage quilt top over the bed and realized I can do the funky bright colors with the lavender. Now I can't imagine any other color on the walls.

The quilt top was gift from my mom from 10 or 15 years ago. When she gave it to me we patched it up a bit and put a border on it, but never made it into a quilt (though it has acted as a curtain and a table cloth). It is finally in it's proper place. I basically made a giant pillow case out of it and slipped it over a down bed spread. The bed skirt is just some lavender and gold fabric I had ruffled around an old sheet.

I love old linens. I have boxes full of them, many of them stained or torn. So I'm always looking for ways to display them. Here I used a curtain rod above the bed to hang a few (Cheap art.) I also have a table runner attached to the rocking chair with some ribbon. Heather thought that one up when she came to visit this summer.

So bring on the visits! The guest bathroom is next.

4 Comments:

Anonymous jona said...

I'm inspired by your quilt! My grandfather passed away in April and my mom gave me his plaid shirts. I want to use them to make quilts for my boys so they can have something to remember him by. Your quilt is kind of like the picture I had in my mind. Thanks! (and I love the wall color!)

1:47 PM  
Blogger Laura Gunn Studio said...

Hey jona!
I just helped my mom make a quilt out of my dad's old plaid shirts. She is also making throw pillows for the grandkids to remember their grandpa. My mom and I started on it the day after his funeral. It was cathartic for her. Good luck with yours.

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello
Linux software,news mobile ,games
http://italiagame.org

G'night

6:23 AM  
Blogger Beth Howard said...

Hey Laura! I love reading your blog. I live in Nashville now, but am from Missouri originally, and love to see what's going in the Lou.

I am going to tag you for 6 weird things. Hope you want to do it. If not, no big deal. Keep up the great blogging!

RULES: People who get tagged need to write a blog post of 6 weird things about them as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose 6 people to be tagged and list their names. Don't forget to leave a comment that says "you are tagged" in their comments and tell them to read your blog.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home