Laura Gunn Studio

lauragunnstudio@gmail.com

Saturday, February 17, 2007

At Last, a Nest!


Hurray! I think I sat and starred at this crib for like 20 minutes after I got it all prettied up. I am so excited to finally be having another baby. Yesterday morning I found this crib at Baby's R Us and fell in love with it. Love the curves. Then my girl friends came over for our Friday project day and we sewed like crazy. They also assembled the crib for me and moved some furniture around. How did I live without those Fridays???? Someone asked what we do with the kids. They pretty much run wild. You should have seen the way Michelle can iron with a baby on her hip.


As you may have read, I've gone a little crazy with the scotty dogs. Heather fed the frenzy by emailing a photo of a vintage scotty dog pattern. Irresistible! So I made my own. I did 12 squares in this quilt. 3 of them are scotties. That way I get the point across, without all the work. Now it just needs to be quilted and bound.
I mentioned before the "lip" that Shannon showed us how to do. It's a great way to make a really skinny border. I did mine in turquoise. I cut four 1 1/2 inch strips and pressed them in half. Then I sewed them around my quilt with the raw edge of my strip lined up with the raw edge of the quilt. Then I just sewed the striped border around like I usually would. Does that make sense? Maybe the picture explains it better.
If you have a sense of humor, I can post my scotty quilt "pattern". It worked, but I am a terrible rule breaker when it comes to sewing. You may find it hard to believe, but I took a pattern making class with my sister-in-law, Heather Bailey (Heather got an A). And my mom, elinor peace bailey, makes patterns for a living. Ha!

19 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

Oh my. I think this is my most favorite "nest" ever. It's perfect. (but you probably already know that??)

7:22 PM  
Blogger June said...

It's a wonderful nest! The crib and all the goodies your Friday group made are so very nice.

6:26 AM  
Blogger JessZ said...

That quilt is fabulous. I hope you post the pattern for the scottie square.

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Rosemary said...

oh wow, what yummy colors you've chosen! I especially love the scotty dog quilt! Please share the pattern for the rest of us scotty dog junkies! LOL! Orange is fast becoming one of my fav colors! Rosemary

7:47 PM  
Blogger The Wooden Spool said...

Ohhh and ahhh, Laura! So cozy and bouncy yet soothing colors! Love your new little nest for your little man! Goes sooo nicely with the yummy orange walls you painted. Your really pulled that one off nicely, tying two nests into one room! Boy/girl! Yay! I'm sure you are feeling so pleased and relieved!

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Mary Ann said...

Oh please the pattern, he is adorable and the nest a loving place for your lucky little guy!

5:54 AM  
Blogger Laura Gunn Studio said...

Thanks guys! You may regret asking for my pattern, but I'll try to get it up.

June, you are such a faithful blogger and always have nice things to say. Do you have a blog of your own?

Wodden spool, you hit my feelings right on the head. I have irrational anxiety about being prepared for this baby, so every finished project is accompanind by a great sigh of relief. But, more to do, more to do.

6:43 AM  
Blogger becki said...

So adorable!! I love everything about it! I also hope you post the scottie dog block pattern!

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Heather Bailey said...

Laura, I love how it all turned out! It's playful and boyish and interesting. And, you finished the crib bedding before the baby arrives - a rare feat!

10:46 AM  
Anonymous jona said...

I love that scotty pattern. I was so inspired by your pillow I decided to try my hand at it. Here's what I came up with(things are slow on ebay now so I may end up having to keep it!):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140086341857&rd=1&rd=1
I'm very tempted to make a quilt with these fabrics (and scotties)but I don't know if I'm ready to commit to a big project. Anyway, thanks for the inspiration!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Mama said...

Oh, I LOVE what you did. We have that same crib, which I also fell in love with and which is still super-sturdy after a year and a half with a crazy, bouncing, little boy. Ours has never looked that good though! I think you're ready...

6:23 AM  
Anonymous linda lu said...

Beautiful! What a lucky baby. Congratulations to the both of you (you and the baby).

12:27 AM  
Anonymous meg said...

That is fantastic! The colors, the pattern - everything. What a lucky kiddo.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous K. Anne said...

I followed Heather's link to your quilt. It is gorgeous! I want want for me! Lol. Please do post your pattern, it's adorable. Are all the fabrics from Fresh Cut? They work so well together.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

How beautiful! When is your baby due?

6:29 PM  
Blogger The Lazy Organizer said...

It's beautiful! Now I want to paint something in my house orange!!!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

I'd love it if you'd share the scotty dog pattern (am I missing it somewhere?). I have a 9 year old dd who loves scotty dogs and is very interested in sewing - this would be perfect for us to create together!

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you by chance purchase any of your fabrics online? I can't seem to find any cool fabrics like these at my local store. Please share any links if you did indeed purchase online!

Thank you.

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Tina said...

Today was my first time on your site. I LOVE the Scottie quilt, not only the pattern but the choice of fabrics...beautiful! And, WOW, your Mom is Elinor Peace Bailey??? Life as a child must have been fun with all those colorful, weird little characters she's famous for sharing your home. I'll be a frequent visitor to your blog. Thanks, Tina

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home