Laura Gunn Studio

lauragunnstudio@gmail.com

Monday, February 12, 2007

Iris on Grey

Today Lily is home sick. We had a rough night last night. But I confess, there is something nice about being stuck at home all day (every once in a while). So far today, I have finished this painting, sorted through baby clothes, listened to Lily read, and sat at the computer. And yes, I am still in my P.J.'s.

Thanks for all your lovely comments. It is so nice to get feedback about my work. In answer to some questions: Many of my paintings are for sale, but not quite yet. I just can't part with them until I get some nice prints made.

I've also had some questions about my process. I always start with the texture. You can do that with lots of things: gel mediums, joint compound. Then I start with a funky color that I want to show through later. Then the layering begins. Sometimes I'll water down the paint to make it more of a glaze. Sometimes I rub a lot of it off after I apply it. Most paintings have 4 to 7 layers of different colors on them before I am ready to paint a subject. I want the backgrounds to look like old walls with peeling paint, or the side of a rusty, painted shed. Some rotting synthetic thing. I think when I put a fresh botanical over that there's a yin and yang thing going on. Am I waxing too philosophical? Ah well.

4 Comments:

Blogger June said...

I think this one is my favorite although I love the others as well. Thanks for delving into your painting process, I love learning about the creative process in general. There's a balance to everything in life, even paintings, so I do understand the yin-yang concept of which you're speaking.

1:05 PM  
Blogger MFM said...

Laura,
This is really beautiful. Your colors are terrific and the composition is very nice. Well done!!!
Muff

3:25 PM  
Blogger Noelle said...

i really don't understand much about the concept of painting i just know it's beautiful. i just finished 'my name is asher lev' and i can't believe he can explain the process of creating art in such a detailed way when he's not even an artist. pretty amazing. i love your work. hope lily is feeling better.

1:33 PM  
Anonymous donab said...

I love your painting style. It was interesting to read about your process a bit in this post. I also paint in acrylics, and spend about as much time on texture and color in my backgrounds as you do. My forgrounds are different subject matter, though, and often incorporate collage/photography elements. Unfortunately I'm bad about photographing them, so I can't really show you what I mean. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work!

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home