Laura Gunn Studio

lauragunnstudio@gmail.com

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Magnolia on Yellow




My sister, Moe, called me because we have free mobile to mobile and she's about out of minutes. I chat with my sisters all the time. In fact it is difficult for me to clean without talking on the phone. I can almost forget I'm cleaning a toilet as I listen to Evie recite all the deals she got at TJ max, Maureen describe the appetizer she had at her latest Portland dive, or Rachel tell me the wonders of wool diaper covers. (Cindy is in Africa so we'll have to settle for email.) There are others I have recruited into my phone addiction. When I can catch Heather (which I am dying to do today to get the details of her trip) I love to talk with her. She's an avalanche of ideas.

But today, instead of cleaning while I talked with Moe, I finished a painting. I've been in love with the background of this painting for weeks, a bit scared to tackle the subject. I decided a few days ago on white magnolias and today I finally plunged in. A lot of you bloggers have asked if I use oil or acrylic. Acrylic! Wonderful, fast drying, comes off with a paper towel, mixes with water, acrylic. I can't tell you how many branches I painted on this canvas and quickly wiped off until I realized what it needed was another blossom, not a branch. I really thinned out the paint with water on this because I wanted all the textures and colors in the background to come through. Fun, fun, fun! I included I close up of one of my favorite parts of the painting. I just like that turquoise coming through.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Jennifer said...

Hi, Laura.
I found your blog when I googled Trenna Lange - when you had a show in her shop. Your work is beautiful! Do you ship your work? Sell prints? What is your price range? You can email me at jkd1199@sbcglobal.net.

12:38 PM  
Blogger FreckleSandwich said...

i really love the it coming thru like that too. i want to be the first to know if you start doing prints or something. its funny you posted that today because i was laying awake in bed lastnight thinknig about when i move and how nice it would be to have some of your art in the new house.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Heather Bailey said...

Wow! You did it again. What a beautiful painting!

9:41 PM  
Blogger June said...

The magnolia painting is beautiful! I've done only three simple acrylic paintings but generally work with watercolors. I like the acrylics as they have a lot more depth than watercolor. You're inspiring me to play more with my paints.

3:59 AM  
Blogger Mama said...

What a beautiful painting. I love how you let the background come through a bit... Wonderful!

Oh, glad you had a great shower too!

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Laurie said...

Gorgeous! LOVE, Love, LOVE it! Your style reminds me of a fresh new Georgia O'Keefe! Your house must sparkle with delightful treasures!

10:04 AM  
Blogger Regina said...

absolutely gorgeous!!

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home