Laura Gunn Studio

lauragunnstudio@gmail.com

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Help! I'm Dyeing! (plus a newborn shirt tutorial)

So, my sister Rachel got me crazy dying baby stuff. I dyed diaper cloths for burp rags, old stained onesies, and newborn shirts. Sooooo fun. I just used the powder Rit dye in the washing machine, but mixed a little tan into eat color. My colors were:
  • tangerine with 1/3 package tan
  • teal with 1/3 package tan
  • golden yellow with 1/3 package tan

Then I had to embellish a few of the new born shirts. I know this boy is gonna want to look good when he comes home from the hospital. On the shirt above I just added a binding to the neck line. Below I made a stamp out of a potato and used acrylic paint.

I am especially excited about the binding on the neck line and thought I'd give a little tutorial on that. If someone wants to give a tutorial on how to do a tutorial it would be appreciated. In the meantime, I'm just slappin it in the middle of my post.


New Born Shirt Tutorial


Step 1: Cut a strip of fabric 2&1/2 inches by about 32 inches.
Step 2: Iron in half, longways

Step 3: Pin folded piece along the edge of the shirt so that the raw edges match up with the edge of the shirt. Be sure to turn a little bit under on the end before you pin it in place.
Step 4: Sew in place. You want your stitching to be right along the inside of the folded edge of the shirt. You'll have to feel for that. Mine was just over 1/4 of an inch into the shirt.

Step 5: As you're sewing, right before you get to the end, trim your fabric strip about1/2 inch from the end and fold it up. Stitch over that.
Step 6: fold fabric strip to inside of shirt and tack it on by hand.

Clear as mud? Good.

I love this Amy Butler fabric!! Speaking of which, did you guys see this fabulous quilt over at the Wooden Spool made from The Belle line. Ooh la la.


16 Comments:

Anonymous jona said...

Thanks for sharing this! I love the way you mixed the colors (I've always wanted to do this but wasn't quite sure how to). I dyed some onesies brown for my little guy but it turned out very mottled (but it kind of looks like I meant to do it so he wears them). I will have to try using my washer next time (I did mine on the stove).

2:37 PM  
Blogger atet said...

Thanks for the dyeing tips and the cute onesie addition. I don't know if I'll use it for myself, but what a GREAT baby gift idea!

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Amy said...

These look so great! I love, LOVE the teal. Does the dye really cover up stains on baby clothes??! Because WOW... what a wonderful thing!

2:10 PM  
Blogger The Wooden Spool said...

Wow, thanks for sharing the great tee-shirt-demo, Laura! You always have the cutest ideas! I have always wondered about dying/staining cloth/clothing!

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Heather Bailey said...

Wowzers! Those have to be the coolest newborn clothes - and one of a kind at that! Cool quilt too. Want to sew. Want to sew.

Just got an email from Rachel today - I never heard that she was having a girl! You'd think that'd be big news. Sad I didn't know sooner, but thrilled for her. Thrilled!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Mama said...

Beautiful! The clothes are amazing, and the tutorial is wonderful. Thanks!

7:46 AM  
Blogger Alecia said...

Thank you thank you. I'm a big time baby clothes alterer. And I've wanted to dye, but the colors don't ever seem quite right! Tan dye?!? Brilliant I say!

Have you tried freezer paper stenciling? SOOO cute and fun on onesies.

Great blog btw. I love it.

1:10 PM  
Anonymous ginny said...

i love the onesies! i have been trying and trying to figure out something for my baby to come home in and i just haven’t worked out the right thing. i almost gave up till i saw yours! i am re-inspired... where did you find those onsies that fold over like that?? all the ones i have only snap in the crotch.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Laura Gunn Studio said...

Hey Ginny,
I got them at target. They have them in long sleeve and short sleeve. They're my favorite when they're newborns because the babe is just too tiny for a onesie

4:23 PM  
Blogger lambie-pie said...

What bright, yummy colors! And what a fun creative idea, I love it. Will have to try for my little one,
E
lambie-pie.blogspot.com
*oh, and I love your flower paintings too. Wish I could buy an original but will probably have to settle for a print. They're gorgeous too though! My friend and I are totally inspired by your Friday group and are getting together to sew tomorrow!

11:16 AM  
Blogger mermaids said...

just a friendly suggestion....if you cut the fabric strips on the bias, they will bend around the curves of the onesie more smoothly.

very cute onesies!

teri

1:03 PM  
Blogger supa said...

What serendipity! I have bins and bins of hand-me-down onesies, and on a whim a month ago I bought three boxes of dye.

The confluence of these events, plus your awesome inspiration, means my impending bambino is going to be ever-so-stylish. Thank you!

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Rae said...

I love your onesies and newborn shirts! What a great idea! I also saw your cloth diapers at hellomynameisheather and would love to make some for my baby...did you use a pattern or did you make them up? Please tell!!!

6:14 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I soo love this idea and I will making tons for my upcoming little lady...LOL!! Thanks so much for the inspiration. I love it!! Your blog is on my bookmark ;)

5:06 AM  
Anonymous Tara said...

I really love your ideas. I feel inspired. Would love to know more about the cloth diaper idea. They are soooo cute. Is there a pattern you recommend over the others that I have seen?

2:11 PM  
Blogger Benitta said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Lucy

http://toddlergirls.net

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home