Laura Gunn Studio

lauragunnstudio@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Evie Love

One of the Great side benefits of having a new baby is the visits from family. We are out here on our own in St Louis. Most of our family is in WA state. Our first visitor was my amazing sister Evie. Wow! I can't say how nice it is to have my house clean, my laundry done, and beautiful meals on the table every night. Evie says she wishes she lived in a commune where all she had to do was cook. Hmmm.... I wish I live in a commune where all I had to do was paint, decorate, and eat Evie's cooking. I thought I'd share a little "Evie Love" with this yummy recipe she made for us.

Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro Crema
crema:
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
3 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, minced
Tacos:
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 tillapia fillets
olive oil
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
2 cups shredded cabbage

Combine all ingredients for crema and set aside. For tacos combine spices. Coat fillets in olive oil and sprinkle spice mix on top. Bake at 425 until fish flakes easily. Heat tortillas. Top with fish, cabbage, and crema. Yummy!

A tip: I love to do Mexican food for company, but hate standing over a skillet heating tortillas. Evie coats her corn tortillas in olive oil, stacks up 10, wraps them in foil and bakes them with the fish. Sooooo smart.



We did give Evie a bit of a break on Saturday. We went to the Botanical Gardens and Soulard Market (our 2 favorite St Louis haunts.) On our way to the gardens we stopped at World Fair Donuts for some seriously greasy hand cut donuts (alas, they were sold out) when we saw TV cameras in front of our donut shop. The guy from the food network's "Unwrapped" was there! a bit of Hollywood here in the Midwest.

correction: You're right Atet (see comments.) That isn't the guy from Unwrapped. it's Alton Brown from Good Eats



6 Comments:

Blogger atet said...

Um, that isn't the guy from unwrapped, that's *Alton Brown*. Ok, um, I might watch just a little bit of food network -- or maybe way too much -- but he's one of my favorites. What a great visit and those tacos sound yummy!

9:41 AM  
Blogger The Wooden Spool said...

YUMMY!!!! I love fish tacos! Lucky you, Laura...to have a wonderful sis come stay for awhile! I'm sure you all thoroughly enjoyed having her, from the looks of Lily having fun with her look alike auntie! :) Too cute! Hang in there!!!!

11:03 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

Thanks so much for posting the fish tacos recipe! I just made them but didn't have a recipe to follow......obviously I needed one....:)

10:27 AM  
Blogger monkeyporkbun said...

Yay! Thank you for posting this great recipe. I can't wait to try it. Wonderful photos!

9:05 PM  
Blogger bug girl said...

I want to live in a commune where all I do is identify bees and pin insects. But if my job on the commune was to wash dishes (with the help of a automated dishwasher) I would take that chore too.

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...
Evie ...yep I knew her. We were best friends growing up together over there on East Ave in Hayward.
Peggy Van Steen

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home