Laura Gunn Studio

lauragunnstudio@gmail.com

Friday, May 11, 2007

I'm Adooring Doors




They just added an Ottoman Garden at the Botanical Gardens. I was inspired by the beautiful entry doors. I can really get excited by textures on old buildings, signs, trains, shacks, whatever. These doors are new, of course. But they got me excited anyway.
A few days after we visited the gardens I had a morning all to myself and the baby was angelic. So I got to paint. Making things really keeps me sane. I love being a homemaker and mom, but so much of what I do is immediately undone or eaten. It's nice to make something that sticks around for a while.
Except when they don't stick around. I sold 3 paintings last week and they were a bit difficult to part with. But I celebrated by buying a bunch of canvases and sparkly new paints and brushes. What loveliness to be justified in such fun purchases.

13 Comments:

Blogger Brambleberry said...

I have to say, that you are so inspirational. Every time I see your work, my wheels start turning....hmmm....what can I paint? I just love your presentation!

Thanks for the inspiration!

4:21 PM  
Blogger monkeyporkbun said...

i love reading your blog and i get exactly what you mean. i just finished a quilt that took a lot of time and while i loved every minute of it and don't begrudge the appreciation it brings its new owner one bit, it is very difficult to part with. paintings though, i don't even know how to do that. but reading your blog and seeing the paintings you create makes me want to learn. thank you so much.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Beth Howard said...

Congrats on selling paintings! Where did you sell them? I'm from MO originally, and travel through to see my parents every once in a while...maybe I could see them in person some time!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Beth Howard said...

I mean in person at the gallery. Didn't mean to sound creepy.

8:31 PM  
Blogger The Wooden Spool said...

Laura! This is just stunning!!! You sure have an eye for color candy! Dripping over the Calla Lily on the sofa with the blue wall!!! I need to paint tomorrow! I'm gonna drag my paints out and just get to work! You are such an inspiration!!!! Happy Mother's Day!!! I know what you mean about needing something to show for all the "undone" work we momma's do! I am the same!! Keeps me going to do something creative!!! Keep it up!!!

9:10 PM  
Blogger atet said...

I know what you mean about the "mom" work -- then again, I've been neglecting it lately and trust me, it builds up. Quickly. EEKKKK! And yes, it is very nice having something you make/do/work on be around more than 10 minutes later.

Love your inspiration, and the painting that you created with it in mind.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

i love your paintings!

1:01 AM  
Blogger earthchick said...

WOW. I always love your paintings, but this may be my favorite yet. I carried calla lilies for my wedding, so they have a special place in my heart.

Con

4:37 AM  
Anonymous Heather Bailey said...

Striking!

3:32 PM  
Blogger marshall p said...

hey what's up? How's your baby and stuff?

love,
Marshall P.

4:28 PM  
Blogger The Blue Barn said...

You are so unbelievably talented! You are an inspiration.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

7:46 AM  
Blogger Poppy & Mei said...

This... is...AMAZING! I'm adding you to my links so I'll be 'round often, 'K?

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home